SOCIAL MEDIA

10.06.2019

What I Have Learned (So Far) About Planning My Wedding!




Oh hello everyone!

Long time no talk I know.. I've been busy! Between working full time and going to school, its been a lot. And to add to the mix I got engaged!!

Follow me on my Instagram to keep up to date with wedding plans and news! Just to fill you in, my fiance Mark and I are high school sweethearts. This October will be our 10 year anniversary. This has been a long time coming for not only us but for our friends and family. Everyone is very excited for our day. He proposed when we were decorating our Christmas tree this past holiday season. He gave me the star to put on top and I wasn't paying attention when I felt something jingle. I looked down and the ring was wrapped around the base. This was perfect because All I Want for Christmas Is You was playing in the background!





I'm not gonna say I was completely shocked because back in November on my birthday, we went ring shopping and I pretty much picked out my band and the setting so I knew that we were going to be engaged fairly soon. But still, Mark did an amazing job and I wouldn't change it any other way.

Now that you know the back story lets talk about wedding planning shall we??


Please keep in mind that my engagement is on the longer end. A total of 17 months. I know that some can plan their wedding in less than a year. Which kudos to them! So some of this might not pertain to everyone but if you just got engaged or if you think you will be soon then maybe some of this can help!

What I have learned so far:

1. Do your research! If you are anything like me, you have already created your Pinterest wedding board back in 2012 and kind of have an idea of what your day will look like. But if you are completely lost, there are so many different outlets and resources you can use to help you picture what exactly you are looking for on your big day.

2. The earlier you book your venue the better. Finding the perfect venue can be like finding the perfect home. It can look great in pictures but when you find out about a hidden fee about going over your headcount, it can easily be a turn off. We were fortunate to find our venue pretty early in the process but we spent almost two months touring so many different places so make sure to give yourself plenty of time!

3. Read your contracts and make sure you understand EVERYTHING. If you have any questions or need help clarifying anything don't be shy and ask! They want you to make sure you understand exactly the service they are providing.

4. Photographer: I personally believe in spending a little more for your photographer. Especially if you are not planning on having a videographer like we are doing. Photography is an art form so it's important to try to find a photographer who has a style you like. Some are more artistic (they shoot at different angles and are more creative when it comes to lighting, angles and editing), while some are more traditional. The biggest thing I wanted from my photographer was someone who played with natural light and had that "light and airy" effect to their photos.

5. Some may disagree with this but you don't NEED a wedding planner. From the internet to just making it work yourself, you really don't need to be spending thousands of dollars for someone to do more of the dirty work. I understand that wedding planning is long and can be stressful at times. But honestly, websites like The Knot and Zola are great tools to have to recommend local vendors and services. However, I do strongly believe in having a day of coordinator on your wedding day. We are fortunate to have our vendor provide us one on our day but I know that not all vendors provide it. I know that some planners do offer smaller services of assistance a month before the wedding and some the week and the wedding day. Everyone is different and if you have the budget to afford a wedding planner, then go for it! I am just saying if you are trying to stick to a budget, a wedding planner isn't a must.

6. Continuing from number 2...If you can, book your vendors early! Of course this has a huge role in how long your engagement is but I can't recommend this enough. I have seen that the calendar for my venue in early 2021 is booking! Booking earlier just gives you more flexibility and gives you a little bit of time to do research and figure out exactly what you are looking for.  I currently work full time and go to school part time so I wanted to get ahead of the wedding planning as quickly as possible and I can't tell you how relieved I feel knowing that a decent portion of the planning is complete.



This is everything that I could think of at the moment but I am sure there will be more I will learn along the way!

What I still have to do:

- We are currently in the process of trying to find the following:

1. A honeymoon! We are interested in an all inclusive, adults only resort in the Carribean. My fiance Mark is very concerned about safety so certain locations we are not interested in traveling to (Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamacia)  If you have any recommendations please let me know!

2. A cake! We have tried two local bakeries in the area and are still unsure. I think we are going to try a few more places before making a decision but we have some time (this is why it's good to get look early!)

3. Makeup/Beauty Services: This is going to be an expensive vendor for me just because my bridal party is big (9 ladies and 1 flower girl) plus my mom and mother in law. I am currently doing research and trying to find someone who is local, willing to travel, and is reasonably priced who offers both hair and makeup services. Again, any Philly local brides, feel free to send me recommendations!

4. A photo booth: I have found a great company that I think we would like to use. However, I have to discuss with Mark since he doesn't believe a photo booth is necessary.  Which I can understand but I always enjoyed using them at other weddings and events. What do you guys think? Would you say its worth it?


What's coming up:

1. My bridesmaid dress shopping! I have decided on the colors for my gals! I have decided to go with three different neutral colors from Davids bridal. Champagne, Biscotti and Portobello. We have our appointment in a couple weeks and I am super excited to see the dresses in person and for the girls to try them on! I will make sure to post on my instagram (follow along for updates!) So you guys can see!

2. Our tasting! You guys...I am so excited for our tasting! The cool thing about our venue is that they are a catering company as well. Their menu has a huge selection of appetizers, meals, and desserts and I have heard nothing but amazing things about their food. Again, I will post on my Instagram so you guys can get a sneak peak as well!


I think that is everything for now! If you guys want to get a monthly update or every other month let me know! I just want to document this process and if you are in the process of planning your wedding yourself, hopefully this can help! Or if you just love weddings that works too!

Thanks again guys and I will talk to you soon!

XO

-V


Post a Comment